Sunday, June 1, 2008

David Roger's Big Bugs! at the Morton Arboretum

On 5/31/08 we celebrated the last day of May by going to the Morton Arboretum. I was excited about all of the programs for kids I saw on their website. An etymologist was outside with specimen displays. They had fun crafts set up throughout the Children's Garden. Also, they have a great sculpture exhibit through July called David Roger's Big Bugs! These twelve larger than life bugs are laid out in a path around Meadow Lake. The kids become Bug Detectives with their official bug detective guides that includes a special badge on the back.

Maddie liked the Tropic Millipede.















Children's Garden




















Crafts at the Good Bad and BUG-ly program.  The kids made fireflies and a clip-on spider.










Big Bugs!













The kids enjoyed their walk around Meadow Lake.












































   




The kids enjoyed the sound of the bullfrogs and watching the damselflies zipping around them like helicopters. It was a beautiful day and a lovely place. We'll definitely be back.

5 comments:

Katy said...

It looks like the kids had a great time. The pictures are so cute. Max and Maddie look like they get along so well! I wish we could be there for all the fun.

Sticking to the floor said...

April I miss you. It's HeatherJ!! The kiddos are getting so big. I can't believe you are back in Chicago. We are loving California!! I hope to talk soon.

Michelle Campbell said...

Wow April,
It seems like there is so much to do for kids there. What a fun place to go. I love the giant bug display. My kids would get a kick out of that. It looks like you guys are doing great. I'm glad for that! Miss ya!

Rachel said...

Okay, bugs just creep me out! But it does look like your kids loved the bugs and the beautiful pond with all it had to offer. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

How'd the move go??
I hate those huge bugs at zoos & stuff! They look fake & they just haunt me for nights!